Everyone has secrets...

DSC_0001

Everyone has secrets.

Little things that we don't tell others because we are afraid. Some things are private and just shouldn't be shared, but those things that don't fall into the private category are secrets.

DSC_0004

If you know me for about nine seconds you'll realize that I'm not a very secretive person. I keep many things private that should be kept private. I keep many things in confidence that should be kept in confidence. As a pastor, people tell me their secrets or private things all the time. Those things I keep to myself.

DSC_0005

People ask me sometimes why I am so open about my life and my secrets and the answer is simple: If you already know my secrets, you'll be much more open to sharing your life with me. True authenticity is birthed. Transparency abounds. That's it.

DSC_0006

And so I need to get something off my chest. A confession if you will.

I LOVE McDONALD'S McRIB SANDWICHES!!!

I don't care who knows it. This sandwich is seasonal at McDonald's. This was designed to keep me below the 2 hundo mark on my scale, but I'm working diligently to beat the system anyway.

I order it with no pickles, no onions, and extra sauce. It's disgustingly delicious and it's been a secret pleasure of mine for years. Well no more. I'm coming out of the McRib closet and I'm proud to be living in a country where that is socially accepted. This sandwich might just get me through the winter blues.

DSC_0007

G'head...fess up.

57 waggish utterances thus far...:

She Knits Flying Monkeys said...

Crazy thing. U.

Lo said...

this isn't as light as yours, but the mcdonalds thing triggered it for me. i've been battling an eating disorder for the past 6 years.. no one knows how i stay so thin and eat so much. :/. yeah. it's my secret. it's also how i could eat mcdonalds every single day and manage to LOSE weight...

that secret makes me scared to share.

Maria said...

where do i begin?
i love to eat at buffets. i wear fake boobs every day. i can't stand john wayne moviess or elvis music. i love reality tv. i've got more ya know...

Sonja Chandler (The Sideline Mom) said...

Do you know exactly what the "so called" meat of a McRib sandwich consists of? Do you want to know? Do you want the truth?

You can't handle the truth! (said with the Jack accent,of course)

Or can you?

Actually I have no idea what the McRib sandwich meat consists of. I just thought I would comment like a nutjob as usual. Cause I'm weird. But I'm criminally loyal too so maybe that even's me out.

But I have always been called weird. I had a boss one time call me weird right to my face then 3 weeks later he "let me go". I always wondered if he fire me for being weird, or was it really because his old receptionist was moving back from England and needed her job back like he said.

I may never know, but my boyfriend at the time thought I had done something really wrong to get fired and called another girl in my office to investigate why. She told him it was because the old receptionist was moving back and they liked her better than me cause I was weird. I dumped that boyfriend a few days later. It would have never worked out anyway. He was weird.

Is that a good enough secret or was it all just a little too weird?

Megan Barrett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan Barrett said...

I have an obsession with buying underwear. I have enough to last me over three months without washing any.

CLJ. said...

I LOVE McDonald's cheeseburgers with all my heart, yet I forbid fast-food from enterting our home, and our 2-year old has NEVER had fast food in her life, and I'm trying to keep it that way as long as I possibly can, and "claim" we are an "organic household" But, when I'm alone in teh car, and I see a pair of golden arches, 9 times out of ten, I hit up that drive thru and shovel a single cheeseburger in my face faster than I even ordered it. then I throw away the wrapper and NEVER SPEAK OF IT. I think my hubby would keel over dead if he knew that I, "the food nazi" (as he calls me) had this addiciton. But honestly, I like my "dirty little secret" :)makes me feel bad, or something.

Krista said...

I secretly hate cleaning my house. I pretend to take pride in it. But no.
I.
Hate.
It.
With a fiery passion that just may ignite the world one day.
So if you see an inferno breaking your way from Texas ... you'll know why.

Not Too Old said...

I too love McRib sandwiches, but I don't keep it a secret-I make out like it's a real treat for my son to go to McD's and I'm making a "sacrifice." Funny how we go more often when McRibs are in town!

My secret is sometimes when my job is really stressful I pretend my FiOS is down and go take a 1/2 hour nap.

Donna in VA said...

I'm fairly new to your site, but I like it very much.

Let's see. . . my secret? I've never TRIED a McRib sandwich.
I KNOW! It's a shock! Maybe I need to break out of my Fish sandwich rut and branch out to new horizons.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Hmm... I have quite a few private things that only a select few people know about me, and I fully intend on keeping it that way. =)

I'm not sure if I have many secrets by your definition. Well, on 2nd thought, maybe I do.

After much personal debate and thinking, I voted for John McCain. I had originally voted for Obama in the primaries... My husband was {keyword} the only one who knew that... until in the heat of trying to make a point, totally BLABBED it to his brothers and father while "politicking" in an email.

I was beyond upset for a quite few hours. I didn't yell or anything, I was just quiet {ask him and he says that's worse}. That was the first time he ever bought me flowers as an apology.

I think that's the only secret I feel like sharing. =P LOL

Jennifer said...

I have never eaten a McRib sandich in my life. My secret.

Jessi said...

It's no secret that I love McRibs.

My secret?
That I think my marriage is the gold standard for marriages. That my husband and I seriously never fight (we don't always agree, we're just really good at talking things out and compromising) and that after 7 years of couplehood we are still incredibly blissfully happy. And more so every day. So my secret is that sometimes I wonder if there is a layer of our marriage I'm not even seeing. That I'm oblivious to. Because how can two people really be this happy? Or is it just Satan trying to tell me I'm delusional?
God made me for him and him for me and so far this seems to be working out great and I can't wait for 10 years and 20 years and 50 years.

Susie said...

Masterful...your combination of words and pictures. You had me the whole way!

PS I LOVE Big Macs...I wish THEY were seasonal, she says wistfully...

Anonymous said...

When I was a lowly teen and worked at McDonald's I would eat at least one McRib every shift when we had them. I can't stand them now :)

A secret: I am afraid to move away from our families. I worry that a major part of why I am such a good mom is because I have their support and can call on them anytime to "rescue" me. I really don't like living in Utah and wish I was strong enough to pack up my family and go (I think my husband would kiss my feet) but then I feel guilty and selfish because we are blessed to have such a well rounded and awesome extended family on both sides. Like it would be our selfishness that is robbing our kids from growing up with that unconditional love not only coming from us. But then I also worry that we are raising them in such a close-minded state. I keep myself awake at night sometimes thinking about this...

achildoftheking said...

Goofball U R...!!

You said, Ryan:
"People ask me sometimes why I am so open about my life and my secrets and the answer is simple: If you already know my secrets, you'll be much more open to sharing your life with me. True authenticity is birthed. Transparency abounds. That's it."

I am the same way.

However, I secretly am addicted to tortilla chips. I fight not eating them because of the salt content. I do not want high blood pressure! I secretly live as an introvert! I pretend to love being around people. I really don't love it.

mollie said...

EEEWwwwwww!!!!
(the McRib, not your teeth)

snobound said...

I have two 'secrets' and they're not really secrets, but not topics that come up in conversations much.

First, I may be the only person in the history of my Bible college to be asked to leave. Seriously! I was that wild. The Dean summoned me to his office one afternoon after and stated that, based on my behavior and apparent lifestyle choices, it would be better for the college if I chose to seek an education elsewhere. Yes, that's right folks, I was kicked out of a Christian college. My parents were so proud....not really.

Secondly, I am married to a pastor (have been for eleven years), but before I met him I was a drug addict, drug dealer, and a prostitute. Most people assume I've lived such a 'vanilla' life that when they hear my testimony their falsies pop out much like Ryan's did!

Becky said...

Here it is:
For the most part, we eat organic, locally made and raised foods. I don't buy processed foods - I like things as close to their original state as possible. Except for one small thing...
My Secret: I LOVE Velveeta cheese! I wish it weren't so, but it is. and it's clearly NOT organic or locally made. HA.

Brea in Texas said...

Everyone who knows me knows that I'm a morning person, and that I love waking up insanely early every morning (at least 5:35). I tell them it's so I can have a few hours of quiet time to myself, before the kids and my husband wake up. Which is partly true.

Except that while I have my quiet time every morning, with my beloved 3 cups of coffee and my Bible, I smoke. I do it before anyone wakes up, and my husband politely pretends not to know, and my kids truly don't know. It's my secret.

And I hate McDonalds. Actually, I love it, but it hates me, so I can't eat it.

And Krista, I don't even pretend to like housework. :)

~Brea

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

I'm mentally ill.

(Now I watch people take three large steps back because everyone thinks it's contagious.)

Anna Tamar said...

I guess my secret is that I honestly love housework--I feel like I am doing something that serves my husband (he loves a clean house) and makes him happy. It makes me happy. However I hate doing the dishes--those are very hades. But laundry, vacuuming , etc, I love.

My husband has prosthetic teeth like yours--they pop out, they are his two front teeth though, and I chipped my two front teeth so part of them are fake as well. :)

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

Brave and humble, Ryan. You are both of these in sharing this here.

I'm not yet brave enough.

Debbie said...

You are crazy funny!
Secrets....I am pretty much an open book with my husband and kids but I do have an unnatural love for cookbooks. I hide them in differnt cupboards so that no one knows how many I really have.

The Sprechers said...

Nobody knows this....Hey Holly, if you read this, don't tell.

As an adoptive mom I'm secretly afraid that because I procrastinated on doing important paperwork until the last minute that they'll try to take my daughter away.

I know it's unrealistic fear, but that's why it's a secret, right?

Kelly said...

I am the opposite, a very private person I am. So I have many secrets. One I'll share is that I really want to move to New Mexico. I don't know why, I feel like the state is calling me to be there.

Jennifer and Sandi said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE that Sandwich....Now I'm hungry

- Jennifer

DanThoms said...

CLJ. that's just terrible. How could you stop at McDonalds and get a single cheese burger when double cheeseburgers are only like 5 cents more.

ps. Ryan, I'm happy to see those happy pictures of you reunited with the prodigal teeth.

larkswing said...

LOL -my stepdaughter had two teeth that never came in so she could do the teeth thing too! But now she has implants (TEETH implants)

The only secret I can think of that I have, since I tend to blab everything, is that I have a blog. Only a few people, hubby, my kids who do not care to even look at it, know it. It is a secret. My parents do not know, my inlaws do not know :)

larkswing said...

... oh, and I tend to like to use cuss words, sometimes :)

The Neon Mouse said...

Awesome blogging, love the overlapping of the pics that speak for themselves and the text of the blog.

My secret? I am addicted to finding deals online and am worried that I may not be able to control myself when money is tight. Yikes! Suggestions?

Lo, I'm sorry for your situation. Please seek support from your family and friends.

Just A Girl said...

My secret is I'm a hypocrite to my kids. I won't let them listen to a lot of music, watch a lot of shows or read a lot of magazines because I know the content is crapola. However, I LOVE People magazine, I listen to questionable lyrics and watch questionable shows/movies. Aaargh!!! I hate that about myself!

Negin said...

My biggest secret...well you know that one because I sent you a message about it on FB. I'm not sure I am ready to tell the world yet :(

Another secret...I am obsessed with going to Lakers games. It makes me happy, and brings me joy..especially when they win.

Oh and I love McRib but the McD's in California no longer has them. I used to get it without pickles and without onions...and had them add mayo. It was SO good. The last time I had it was a few years ago.

Doktorchik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi...eeeew! Just recently stumbled upon your site and since I'm looking in on a regular basis I thought it polite to say hello :o) and compliment you on the falsies. Not noticable at all... until these pictures. My secret is that I still pretend my dad is away and not in the cemetery for the past 15 months :o( I'm not ready to deal with it. And I'm 44 not 4.

Sigga said...

Sorry, my son was logged in (Haukur) and not little old me ;o)

Katelyn said...

I have quite a few secrets that I hardly fess up about.

One thing that I won't admit to any of my friends is that I am still madly in love with my ex boyfriend when I deny it every day. We were together for 4 years, and he was my first love. He left me when I moved to college because it was too hard on him.

I'm a bad person and I talk horribly about him. But truth is, whenever I see he messages me on Facebook, when he sends me a text message, or when I'm home and I see him, I get the same feeling in my stomach I had when he gave me my first kiss.

I can never admit that to anyone really.

Michelle said...

I have seriously low self-esteem. I am a pleaser: I got out of my way to make sure everyone is happy. Except me sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I worked at McDonalds for two years in high school.
I HATE MCRIBS. Not because I don't enjoy the flavor, I just hate making them. I hate that the sauce would get all over me, and then the sauce would creep into little places that are almost impossible to clean. The Sauce is Satan.

... I don't like McRibs. No, not one bit.

Anonymous said...

Oh and as for my "secret." I know what the Advil bottle says about your stomach bleeding, and the recommended dosage is 1 tablet. But that doesn't work for me - ever.
I take 4.
I'm probably bleeding internally.

Katy said...

My secret is this:
I work for a major auto insurance company, and I love it when I get a customer who swears at me so I can hang up on them.

I think that I love being a licensed insurance agent, but I hate customer service.

DMK said...

I'm sorry, but the pickles and onions sound like the only redeeming quality of the McRib. :) But I love me some pickles and onions, so take my opinion lightly.

Secrets...my secret is that I have secrets. Most people who know me wouldn't guess that I'm not an open book.

moncheoPR said...

LOL!!!!!!!!

Love the McRib too. They had it here until last month. Bastards!

Holly said...

First, my dear Cil, I hope no one ever takes your precious daughter away.

Second, My fear is that I will be nominated for the show “Clean House” and the entire nation will see what a cluttery slob I really am. (Cil, don’t you dare!)

Jenn said...

Have been lurking in the shadows and decided to comment. Figured I'd add another serious secret. I had an abortion when I was 18 so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting kicked out of the small Christian college I was about to enroll in.......as well as not having to deal with the ex at that point.

Thoughts of a Kid's Pastor said...

i'm gonna hurl for sure now that i read your post! just the thought of food makes me sweat. i got a stomach ache like i haven't had in 46 years, the last time i hacked. ucky!

kribss said...

i secretly wish i could disappear for a few years and come back a different person. a better person.

Julie said...

So, my blog? About high end food? Yeah. Freaking love McRibs. Love the pickles. Love the onion. Love the fake pork. LOVE IT.

I am with you. We should go out and have one, you know? We live so close to one another.

Christie said...

I struggle with living everyday.

Mainly a midwife said...

It's been a while since I've posted a comment. I do have a secret. I sometimes spend hours (that I don't have) on the computer when there are clearly other things to do. It's so bad that sometimes my kids will ask me to do something with them and I'll say "just a minute" and I forget about it. Sad. Bad mommy.

ksw said...

Laurie,
You're not alone. Not in the mental illness, nor in the rejection that goes along with it. I was essentially excommunicated from the church I went to because of my illness. Seriously, what good do people think they are doing when they only make the battle harder?

Lisa said...

Love the last picture -- that's too funny! :)

I noticed a few mentions of "falsies". My definition is not the same apparently, as that of the other commenters...:O)

I've got secrets, sure. Who doesn't. One of these days I may be brave enough to share, but not today...

Norma said...

When I was preggers with my daughter, I was super sick and lost so much weight that I weighed less at the end than in the beginning. I never told anyone but I thought I was going to die from not being able to eat so now, I eat too much. I let her eat too much because I'm afraid she'll die too. Not good. Not healthy. For both of us.

darthmom said...

My ATM pin is 7983. That is my only secret! All the rest of my stuff is private.

Unknown said...

my secret: our baby is due in the middle of January, and I have no clue how to take care of a baby full time. I feel like I can barely take care of my house, my husband, and our dogs. Also I had lost 30 lbs. before getting pregnant, and now I have gained it all back, and I still have a little over 2 months to go. I don't feel attractive at all, and I worry that my husband feels the same way about me.

The Panic Room said...

I just found this blog and am pretty happy about it. I am pretty sure I have eaten enough McRib sandwiches in my past to build an entire pighorse out of the meat I have consumed.

Great pictures. Can't wait to read more.