Randomography: Girl takes on the park...

Sometimes it's just best to let the photos do the storytelling.

DSC_0040

DSC_0043

DSC_0046

DSC_0053

DSC_0067

DSC_0074

DSC_0079

Lessons in good parenting #274:
DSC_0109

DSC_0110

DSC_0147

DSC_0152

DSC_0158

DSC_0166

DSC_0159

DSC_0202

DSC_0210

DSC_0206

DSC_0216

DSC_0226

DSC_0229

"The thing I mean can be seen for instance, in children, when they find some game or joke that they specially enjoy. A child kicks his legs rhythmically through excess, not absence of life, because children have abounding vitality. Because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again!", and the grown up person does it again until he is nearly dead, for grown up people are not strong enough to exalt in monotony, but perhaps God is strong enough to exalt in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again!" to the sun, and every evening, "Do it again!" to the moon.

It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike, it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but never gets tired of making them, it may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy, for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we are."

- from G.K. Chesterton in Orthodoxy

33 waggish utterances thus far...:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
neckel said...

thanks for sharing that Chesterton quote. I think a long long time ago, I tried to read that book, but sure don't remember anything so clearly and beautifully stated. it's a keeper. so is ava. :-)

Tracy said...

She's adorable. Were the ducks nice to her? Sometimes they're scary.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Ryan!

And to anonymous above - you are creepy!

Jill said...

Really beautiful photography.

Helen Ann said...

That quote is fabulous! I must steal it for my blog!

And yeah - that first anonymous comment is creepier than gnomes!

melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DanThoms said...

hey, I have gnomes... they were only 3 each at the thrift store.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan

I followed my nose over here from the Pioneer Woman's blog. I just have to tell you that I'm not religious in any way but I CANNOT stop reading your blog! Absolutely compelling reading and you cook some amazing food too!

Cheers from New Zealand

Kelly

Unknown said...

Seeing the world through our children's eyes is a great thing :)

Snow said...

Ava is such a doll! I've been sad today because my youngest is in school now all day. I miss those days when they were real little. They go by so fast.

webkat said...

These shots are amazing and made me so happy--they remind me of how much I delight in my own small child. Thank you!

mollie said...

I heard Dunkin Donuts makes kids (and ducks) grow. big. Fast.
Be careful.My 5 year old is 6'2".

Kim said...

LOL Mollie! :) And they make adults grow too...Big. Fast. ;)

Ryan, your blog is always a blessing to me. Thank you for sharing your little part of God's great big, yet surprisingly small, world.

Your sweet Ava Beans is incredibly fortunate to have you for her earthly daddy. And she's just as precious as can be!!

Sonja Chandler (The Sideline Mom) said...

Hey Ryan I have been reading your blog via Pioneer Woman (ain't she great?!!)and its truly interesting and enjoyable. Plus thats one cute little person you've got there.
Keep up the great work (cause it is work keepin these blog thing-ies going, ya know?-oh yea and all the picture taken also)
But I love hopping on your site and hearing your stories.
Love your recipes too. I'm about to try that mexican lasagna, cause I got 3 hungry boys and they are making me nutty.

Oh BTW I lived in Ohio for 6 1/2 years.(Hamiliton actually) went to jr high and high school there. I'm in nashville now with all the shiny country music people. Still visit ol' Cincy from time to time though.

Ok I've rattled on for long enough.
Keep at it, you are inspiring many.
Sonja C.
(did your friend Todd ever find his uh...kitty cat?-scary)

Nan said...

Awesome pictures. Really fabulous. And I love the quote. I love G.K.'s Orthodoxy... perhaps the most quotable book ever!

http://www.shawnanigans.net

Joanna said...

Wow. That 4th photo just might be the happiest expression I've seen all year. Wow.

keltic said...

Fourth picture down... amazing! So beautiful - you must frame that for your walls!

(kelli - www.meinplace.com)

Donna Boucher said...

She is just precious! I love those ponies!!!

Beautiful photos!

Nancy said...

I'd say, your child has illustrated joy so well. I like the rocks in the air most especially.

Ellyn said...

Oh my goodness...She is beyond beautiful.

Loved your mushroom recipe on PW site too. I love mushrooms.

Kaci said...

Great pictures!! She is such a doll!! :)

Jessi said...

I didn't realize you were acquainted with PW until today when I saw your mushroom post over there. I stumbled on both your sites through different means so didn't realize you were connected in any way. Those mushrooms looked delicious, by the way.
Love the pics, love the post, LOVE the quote.
Thanks for sharing.

Marianna said...

I love it when you said: It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again!" to the sun, and every evening, "Do it again!" to the moon.

There is such a stark simpleness about it...like with children...if only grown ups could be so free sometimes. :^)

Beautiful pictures! I remember when I used to take my (now 20 year old) daughter to the park to feed the ducks. Thanks for the memories!

Traci Best said...

She could not be more beautiful if she tried! Precious!!! :)

Well Done! (Photos, and Ava!)

Traci

Traci Best said...

P.S. How did you know I bought mushrooms for the FIRST TIME today???

LOL!

Traci

Brad Ruggles said...

Beautiful pictures! What an adorable little girl.

You're right, when you have those kind of pictures you don't really need to muddle it up with descriptions.

Very nice.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME Pictures..too cute. You told a story of a wonderful day out!

Nannette said...

*swoon* Gah, but she is lovely. (so are the pics!)

kris said...

ava is a doll! great photography too! go check my blog, you won an award! :)
kris

ps - mushrooms rock!

Doktorchik said...

Adorable daughter, beautiful pictures that truly capture her, and a fantastic quote to go with it. I'm glad I found your blog.

Ashley said...

Seriously...I wish I was that great of a photographer! Beautiful girl...beautiful pictures!

merideth said...

those beautiful pictures of your beautiful girl perfectly illustrate the quote!

i found you through pw and i'm now addicted. in a good way.

any way you could teach us a little sumpthin' about taking such great pictures?