We built it...

It took my mother-in-law and I four hours to complete it, but it's done. The playhouse is finished.

Wanna see the process?




--------------------------------------------

And now for another story entirely.

I was at Sam's Club yesterday (have I mentioned I like that place?) and as I was walking in I noticed an employee pushing carts into the store. I thought it was a man, but as I got closer I noticed it was in fact a woman. Her hair was short and she was muscular. She was built like a man and from behind...you'd be hard-pressed to make the right gender judgment.

I immediately thought to myself, Whoa...I thought that was a man. Good thing I didn't say something stupid.

Not 5 seconds after that thought did an older man stop her to grab a cart from the train she was pushing. She broke one off the front for him and as he turned around he said, "Thank you ma'am..."

I thought, oh good...he knew it was a lady.

Just then however, he turned back to her and said, "Oh, I'm sorry sir...I thought you were a woman for a second there."

I looked at her and she didn't say a word back to him. He just walked away and as I got closer to her she said in a mumbling undertone, "people always think I'm a man. It's my haircut...I always get my hair cut like a man."

I turned to her and said, "oh well...I wouldn't worry about it too much. That guy was pretty old...I'm pretty sure he thought I was a Buick." She grinned a little, but I could tell she was really hurt. And I just kept walking...

As I shopped, I thought about going back to tell her that God sees her as beautiful child, no matter what her haircut looked like. But I didn't and I feel like I missed it. If I see her today I'm going to tell her though. Because she's worth it.

12 waggish utterances thus far...:

Not Too Old said...

LOVED IT! I especially liked the parts where you installed something, only to have to take it back off later. The flower in the foreground was also a nice touch, as was Ava trying it out for a bit.

Welcome to another milestone in parenthood - "some assembly required."

Anonymous said...

I just recently started reading your blog- love it. I really loved that video though- as soon as my kids (6,4,3) heared it, they ran over and we had a little "hoe-down". Cute.

Anonymous said...

Loved the Buick comment.

moncheoPR said...

LOL @ video and music for it. But LOVED the meal break the most. Funny stuff.

As for the Sam's lady, that's very nice of you and you should say it if you see her again.

As for the Sam's addiction, how many times a day/week do you go? Need Sam's Anonymous?

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Pioneer Woman (she's awesome).
That would be so nice to say to that girl. I think she would really appreciate it. You are such a nice guy.

I don't have a blog.

Elaine said...

What was the total splinter count?

Erin Moore said...

I too, found your blog via PW - and I feel like I've stumbled upon a gem.

Big smiles about the Sams lady. Jesus loves her, I'll be praying that you'll get the opportunity to let her know.

Signed,
No-Sams-Within-a-20-Mile-Radius :-(

Anonymous said...

the greatest lie the devil can tell a woman is that she has no beauty; sadly, this woman believes it.

Marathon Mommy said...

I also stumbled upon your blog via PW's site and I have enjoyed my visit!

PS-I lived in the 'Nati for a couple of years three years ago.

Helen Ann said...

I think that this should be a Babe-a-Thon event!

On your other story - I have been in that situation...Where I could so have said something to someone about how God feels about them. I hope that you get the chance to carry that out. She is beautiful and you have such a gentle presence about you that I know she would be touched by it.

Tracy said...

Awe I loved how you sat with her while she checked it out. It's the small things that make a huge difference.

Unknown said...

awesome. And I didn't see any mad waving of the arms or collapsing in fits of anger that I usually see when men around my house try to put something together.