Time for a change...

I've been growing my hair out for an undetermined amount of time until today. I played golf with some friends and I just couldn't take it anymore. Sometimes you just crave a change in your life. Whenever I grow a beard or my hair to a certain length I will inevitably be overwhelmed with the desire to remove it all at once.



Sometimes I desire other changes in my life too. I wish that I could control them as easily as I am able to control my hair removal. My heart for example. I wish that I could change my heart in an instant to love others more. It takes more than that though...it takes time...it takes prayer...it takes intention. I can't just flip a switch and be this ultra-loving person who sees people without judgment...it'd be nice though.

One thing I know for sure, it's that prayerlessness is my ultimate sign of pride. The more I think I can do things on my own...the less I'm praying about. I truly believe that I don't need God most of the time and it causes me not to talk to Him nearly enough. I'm changing it though. I don't want to be self-sufficient. I just want to live in the identity of who I am...someone who needs a lot of help along the way. Thanks be to Jesus that it's always there.

6 waggish utterances thus far...:

DanThoms said...

...and now you look like your 12 again ha ha ha

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

That time lapse is fun to watch.

Unknown said...

Very nice look for you love the time lapses :)

Tiffanie said...

Thanks for the reminder that not praying is a sign of pride and thinking I can do it all myself.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. Why is it that the people who are practically saints are the ones who ALWAYS think they need the most help from God to improve their (practically perfect) personalities, while other, non-saintly people who think of God as more of a bystander/distant friend don't feel half as incapable or as in need of divine help for personal improvement... does being closer to God make you feel less competent? And if so, how is that a good thing?
Seriously, I just don't get it...

Jonathan said...

I just wanted to respond to anonymous if they decide to check back.
Being closer to God does make you feel less competent, humbled, because God knows that in those feelings of humility, He can become more in you.If we are always the center of our lives God cannot work through us, but if we are removed as much as possible from the equation, we become more and more like Christ. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:31 " I die daily" I hope this helps some