Pool party...

Every time I go to type the words "pool party" together...I almost type "poop party". But that's beside the point. The real point of the story is this:

I went to a pool party with the girls yesterday. Ava has twin cousins named Lillian and Sophia. They're about the same age as Ava and they have a blast together. I can't imagine what they'll be like when they're older. I've got a feeling they're going to be pretty close.

Here's Ava with her little hoochie-mama bikini:
Ava

This is Lillian. She's the serious one. I'm not quite sure she trusts me just yet.
lillian

And this is Sophia. She marches to the beat of a different drum. I like that kid.
Sophia

I wonder if they'll remember this. There are several people I know who are able to recall many memories from when they were 2-3 years old. This concept baffles my mind as I don't have a single recollection of anything before I was 4 years old.

Many times we block out memories that our mind doesn't want to remember, but I believe some of us just aren't wired to recall that far back. I've got a specific impression of me and my uncle playing some sort of track & field game on the Atari and I'm fairly certain I was 4 years old...that's as far back as I can go right now. What is your earliest memory?

21 waggish utterances thus far...:

Jenny said...

Yeah, we saw you in our pool. We know you don't work on Mondays. :p

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this question will haunt me for days. You know, I can't remember, but I remember times when I could. But then again, I wonder how much of our earliest memories are attached to pictures or stories we are told. I often think I don't spend enough time "remembering" all those childhood memories. Ok, rambling now. But seriously Pastor Ryan, this will drive me nuts for days as I'm driving around or doing the dishes. My husband says "yeah, thanks in advance".

Marysol
www.blomerus.org

Chris M. said...

I need to get some water wings, man! Those things are awesome!

Hey, Ryan, what lens were you using when you too those shots?

-Chris
Weather Moose

Erin Moore said...

Um...yesterday.

Anonymous said...

I can remember some things from when I was 2 or 3. I had a small slider turtle for a pet and Mom asked what I had done with it. I told her I had put it in the refrigerator. She freaked! told me it would die from the cold in the fridge. Duh...I had put it my little toy refrigerator and closed the door so it couldn't get away. I very clearly remember wondering what kind of dummy she thought I was. "Gosh Mom"

DanThoms said...

I have so few memories from being a small child that I theorize that those years may have never happened.

Anonymous said...

My parents divorced when I was about 4 1/2. I don't remember life with mom, dad, my brother and me under the same roof.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Might sound crazy, probably even impossible. But I remember being on a plane and two of my sisters fighting. My mom and dad were playing cards.

When I was around 7 I asked my mom when this was...and she gave me a look of disbelief.

Apparently it was when I was just a few months old flying out to South Carolina to meet my dad's parents for the first time. Everything I remembered matched up with the reality.

Anonymous said...

totally off subject: just wanted to let you know that i made your mexican lasagna recipe that you posted on pioneer woman's site. it was delish! everyone loved it.
will definitely make it again. and again.

Helen Ann said...

Cute pics! Ava's bikini is far from Hoochie Mama. It is very lady-like and modest. You know she's gone hoochie-mama when she wants the Daisy Duke shorts that say "Juicy" or "Bad Girl" on the rear. UGH.

My earliest memories aren't pleasant...I was 2 or 3 and was in the hospital in one of those old hospital cribs with the iron bars that looked like a prison...I remember someone in a long, silky magenta nightgown or robe coming into the room and being mean to me (not sure if they were hitting me or yelling at me or shaking me, but I remember it mot being pleasant). No idea what that was about or who it was. But Whenever I am asked what my earliest memory is that always comes to mind...Nice huh?

Anonymous said...

My earliest memories start at age
5. I had the kindergarten teacher from hell. I remember every wicked thing she did to me. Not pleasant but made a definite impression on my young mind.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
Hi! I also made your mexican lasagne last night and we loved it. Good kid recipe. Only problem is that my parents were also over and apparently they had bean/rice overload that got their stomaches in quite a state. We are now out of TP :) Their idea of dinner is cheese, olives, deviled eggs, salami, etc. Thanks for making my kids happy though! Have a good day.
Chris

Anonymous said...

climbing out of my crib so I could hide in the hallway and watch the reflection of the TV on the bookcase door.. It was around 1969, I was around 3 and Johnny Carson was on. I wanted to see why mom and dad were laughing.

Anonymous said...

Little girls are made of daisies and butterflies and soft kitty cat purrs
And all the precious memories of times that once were.

Little girls are made of angel's wings and giggles and a firefly's glow
And all the happy feelings, deep inside, that we all know.

Little girls are made of cinnamon and bubbles and fancy white pearls
And snowflakes and rainbows and ballerina twirls.

Little girls are made of sunshine and cupcakes and fresh morning dew,
And these are the reasons, little one, why everyone loves you. -- Karen Barnes

Congrats again on making such a lovely baby!

Anonymous said...

That is lovely. My nephew, daughter and niece are all very close in age (11, 10 and 9 currently - until my nephew turns 12 next month). They really enjoy each other (although the 2 girls have grown closer as they've got older) but I realize that at this age, it's my responsibility to keep them connected and hopefully, they will stay that way throughout their lives. Love your photos!

kris said...

I remembered having a procedure done on my ears and I wasn't sure how old I was & I asked my Mom and she looked like she had seen a ghost. SHe didn't think I could have remembered that, because I was 2. Maybe you remember traumatic things easier? I don't remember pain, just looking out from under a sheet thingy at my Mom who was holding my hand... weird huh?
That Ava is a beauty! Love seeing pics of her, and she's no hoochie mama...God Bless
kris

Anonymous said...

I believe I was two...My mom was always sick(diabetic) and she would always color her hair. We were outside standing in front of our big white car in the driveway. I remember looking up at her and her hair was BLUE!!! The way the sun hit it...it was BLUE!!! The ironic thing is..that was my mothers favorite color. God Bless you Mom..Love you...T

Anonymous said...

Sitting on my little trainer potty while my mom did laundry in our old house. Oh what a first memory LOL!

Kat

Laurie said...

Mine was from when I was under two years old. We had a deer that would come up to the fence line and we would feed it. I remember wanting to raid the entire vegetable drawer of the fridge to feed the deer and my mom wouldn't let me.

Katelyn said...

My first memory that I can recall comes from when I was around 2 years old. My family had moved to southern Mississippi because my dad had been offered to be the CEO of a company down there. So my family packed up from southern Illinois, where my mom had spent her entire life, and moved down there. I remember one day riding this little bitty red tricycle with red, yellow, and blue streamers on the handles. I was riding around the car under the car port, where my dad was washing it. He was rinsing the back of the car when I came around the corner, and he didn't see me so he accidentally sprayed me in the face. I think it traumatized me from that point on, because I remember I was scared of water until I was at least 6 years old. Funny how things get to us at such an early age, huh?

Lisa said...

...waking up on a sheetless matress, crying and crying. I think I was about two.