The beauty of Self-Awareness...

DSC_0287

Figuring out as much about ourselves as possible is one of the most important things we can do in this life. If I don't know what my downfalls are, it's going to be pretty tough to work on them. If I don't know what my strengths are, it's going to be pretty tough to use them.

Have you ever met someone who just doesn't understand that you shouldn't talk 3 inches from someone's face?

Or have you ever met someone who doesn't believe that they have an amazing gift as an artist?

These are just a couple of examples, but the list goes on and on. One of my favorite steps in the process of figuring out who you are is to take a legitimate personality test. No...not the MySpace kind. The Myers-Briggs is the most well known and well respected of all these tests. The full version of the test is pretty large, but you can take a shorter version of it online at:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I urge you to take this test. It will probably take you around 5-10 minutes. Personally, I've learned that I am an ENTJ on the Myers-Briggs scale. This means I am an Extroverted, iNtuitive, Thinker, Judging. My personality type makes up around 5% of the population.

A few of my strengths are:

*Fearless // Thrill-Seeker
*I'm a leader
*Emotionally stable
*I finish most things I start

Some of my weaknesses are:

*I can be arrogant
*Perfectionist
*Critical
*Too opinionated

With this little bit of knowledge about who I am...I can begin to work on my weaknesses and put my strengths to good use. I no longer have to argue with the fact that I really am a leader because my personality type says so. The sad part is that I have to take a personality test to agree with something that God has told me all along, but for so many of us, we've believed the lies we've been told much more than the truth that's been spoken over us.

Once you see what your personality type is, do a google search on it and you'll find out all kinds of stuff. One really basic website with personality type descriptions is:

http://similarminds.com/jung/entj.html You can just click on your personality type at the top for a quick snapshot of your stuff. The important thing to keep in mind is that this is not an end-all, be-all test that defines who you are. This is just a place to start.

If you're truly interested in finding out more about your God-given gifts, talents, and strengths; I would recommend picking up this book:



It can be found ----> Here.

Soooo....what's your personality type?

25 waggish utterances thus far...:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty wild. That test described me to a T!

Anonymous said...

I love Meyers Briggs & teach this to others.

I'm an INTJ, married to a ENFP.

Knowing that alone about your spouse gave us a great start in marriage.

Marysol
www.blomerus.org

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

This says I'm an ISFJ: Introverted Sensing Feeling & Judging... the guardian or protector. Which make up about 10% of the population.

I got a better sense of things by doing this. It's just amazing that answering a few questions honestly can really tap into how I am.

Here's a sample:
" Wanting to be of service to others, Protectors find great satisfaction in assisting the downtrodden, and can deal with disability and neediness in others better than any other type. They are not as outgoing and talkative as the Provider Guardians [ESFJs], and their shyness is often misjudged as stiffness, even coldness, when in truth Protectors are warm-hearted and sympathetic, giving happily of themselves to those in need."

*sigh*

Thanks for this post. I'm going to have my husband fill this out when he gets home from work too. Should be interesting...

DanThoms said...

INFJ the best and rarest of them all.

Tiffanie said...

Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging

Amber said...

ENFP Baby!

Anonymous said...

Cool! I am an ISFJ (Introverted - Sensing - Feeling - Judging).

Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

I'm INFJ type(along with Dan and Tiffanie) which is less than 1% of the population but it is 38% of the first 8 commentors on this blog. hmm, interesting...

Anonymous said...

I'm an ISTJ which fits me perfectly since I'm an accountant. Before we got married a friend of ours MADE us take this test, she couldn't believe that we would have a happy marriage until she saw the results.

Anonymous said...

YES!! What IS it with people who can't understand the concept of personal space?! They seem to think they won't be seen or heard unless they're filling your entire line of vision... yick :P

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan, I have a question for you about one of your recipes at Ree's place. I'm doin' some work for her and I need some extra info. from you! :^D Can you e-mail me at nancypantslady at gmail dot com?

jen said...

According to the test I just took, I'm an ENTJ, but I've taken it a few times before and it tends to change depending on the mood that I'm in.

That said... I am a government manager, and I'm good at what I do. I'm pretty typical of the ENTJ type.

Occasional Threads said...

INFJ, consistently. I should have my boyfriend do this. :)

Elaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elaine said...

INTJ...1% of the population including Stephen Hawking, Ayn Rand, Sir Isaac Newton, Thomas Jefferson, C. S. Lewis, and Lance Armstrong. Good company if you ask me.

Helen Ann said...

Well...It seems that no one can exactly pin point little ol' me...Not surprising since I often am an oddball...When I was given the Personality test/Enneagram analysis in premarital, I was an INFJ. Facebook's test this summer put me at an ISFJ. The first link you provided has me as an ESFJ...So, no doubt I am a Feeling Judge...But The jury is still out on whether I am an Exrovert vs Introvert or iNtuitive vs. Sensing.

Of the type descriptions - especially in the breakdown of the types in the second link you provided - INFJ reflects me the most accurately, especially in the list of favored careers...So I guess I will claim that one and assume that the premarital counselor had the most detailed test. :)

So there ya have it...Do you feel like you know me better now? :P

Helen Ann said...

And hey - I'm rare right along with Dan Danly!

Anonymous said...

We've spent the last 45-minutes taking tests...
JP is the Provider: esfj
I am the Protector: isfj
jp jr. is esfp, fittingly called the performer...

Laurie said...

INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

I'm a freak of nature. I am a lunch lady.

Anonymous said...

You inspired me to take it and write a blog post too! I'm ESFJ...and I'm surprised at how well it describes me!

Eric said...

Amazing, I was just praying last night about who I am and what I am supposed to do with my life. I even made a list of my strengths and skills to evaluate what I can do for Gods Kingdom. This has helped me to better know myself. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

ENFJ - not much of a surprise but like you I've had to take the tests to confirm what's been going on anyway.
I also teach the DiSC behavior profiles at work. Pretty fun to open people's eyes to how different we all are.

Unknown said...

I am an INFJ also. I'm special.

Allayna Teddie Winkler said...

I'm an ENFP!
Sweet.

=]

KimberlyDi said...

I'm an ISTP married to an ISTP which surprised me because on the outside, we seem different. I guess we are similar on the inside which explains why we are so compatible.