Do you ever like the crappy better than the excellent...



...or another way to say it...the cheap instead of the fine? Or how about the fake instead of the real deal?

The specific topic I'm talking about is Maple Syrup. Now you must understand that I myself am a foodie. I am all about the finer things...the subtle nuances that make up flavor complexities and undertones. I love quality food in all of it's forms...except when it comes to syrup.

I don't like high-quality maple syrup nearly as much as I like Aunt Jamima or Mrs. Butterworths or any of my other fine syrup ladies. I've tried 50 different types of moderately priced to very expensive maple syrups and I just don't like them nearly as much as the crappy, high-fructose corn syrup, never even smelled a maple tree syrups.

Is something wrong with me? My wife is the same way. I enjoy cooking some dishes with good quality maple syrups...such as roasted butternut squash or baked oatmeal...but on pancakes? I need the two-dollar, microwaveable-with-a-tell-me-when-it's-hot sensor.

You?

Feel free to follow the discussion ----->HERE.

6 waggish utterances thus far...:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way with raisin bran cereal. I like the cheap cereal not the high priced general mills kind.

Tracy

Helen Ann said...

Cheap syrup IS the finest! Don't be fooled by the syrup snobs.

I am also not impressed with "crisp vegetable medleys"...Give me some well cooked green beans and broccoli that you don't have to use a steak knife to cut. :)

Unknown said...

Aunt Jemima rocks. I have my bottle of AJ and my husband has his fancy stuff. And never shall they meet on the table.

Carrie said...

I totally agree! I have tried and tried with the real deal and always end up going back to the cheap "fake" stuff LOL!

Anna van Schurman said...

I made your zucchini fritters and you don't eat real maple syrup? Where I'm from you'd be stoned. Or maybe boiled with the sap.

Gerky said...

Yap...we are the same way. Of course our Aunt jemima and Log Cabin need to be the butter flavored! Love your blog.