The World's Greatest Grocery...



Jungle Jim's of course. For those of you who haven't experienced the greatness that is Jungle Jim's...I am truly sorry. It is the cheese to my macaroni. The Simon to my Garfunkel. Jungle Jim's is the epitome of foodie-land. You just can't beat six acres of food under one roof.



I haven't been out there in a few months so I decided to make some time for a trip. I needed several ingredients that are hard to find in common grocery stores...good ole' JJ's never has a problem filling my cart. Part of the experience is sight-seeing and part of it is out of necessity.



As far as necessities go; I was out of salt. Kosher salt that is...this clearly falls into the necessity category as I am a huge proponent for properly seasoning some grub. I'm not entirely sure anything else I bought would be considered a necessity however. Maybe the Scotch Bonnets?
Nah. Hmm...what about the High Mountain Midnight Popcorn...or the Hank's Vanilla Cream Soda? I guess it depends on your definition of necessity.





Mostly I love the atmosphere of Jungle Jim's. It's like a melting pot of cultures and smells and sights...onto the sightseeing part:

Mmm...Pork Snout.


Mary had a little...


Oh, don't be so pig-headed.


You know what they say...4 heads are better than one.

9 waggish utterances thus far...:

Helen Ann said...

I think I'm going to hurl....

Jenny said...

Mom said to do your task list and start writing your talk. No more shopping. :D

DanThoms said...

I loooooooooove Jungle Jims. I don't even need to buy anything. Its like seeing what a grocery store would look like if I owned one. I love the animal heads too, so strange.

Unknown said...

Jungle Jim's is the bomb-diggity. I scared the crap out of my mom with the lamb's head last time we went.

Julie said...

how'd you get your camera in? they always have big NO PHOTOGRAPHS signs and I get nervous.

Reverb said...

It was pretty simple Julie. Here's a quick tutorial:

Step #1 - Forget how to read.
Step #2 - Run away from the guy who says, "Hey, do you have a press pass?"
Step #3 - Act as if you're camera is a cellular device and speak into the lens until security lets you go, or passes you off as mentally handicapped.

Trying Traditional said...

I've only been to Jungle Jim's once, but I loved it! Chicken feet make the best chicken stock and you just can't buy them everywhere. The fish heads were tempting, I've never made fish stock, but I hear they are the key to keeping it tasty.

And fresh durian, where else in this area of the states is one to go for an ugly, stinky, but so tasty durian?

www.tryingtraditional.wordpress.com

An Unlikely Retirement said...

Pig heads? Lamb heads? Eck. I'm intrigued by your blog, but these kind of made me throw up a little in my mouth. Other than those, I. AM. SO. JEALOUS!!!!! Nothing like Jungle Jims in my part of the country.

Anonymous said...

You just made me laugh. I have always wanted to have the nerve to take photos in Jungle Jims!