Day 6 of the Plastic Cup Challenge...


In an effort to be more environmentally conscious AKA cheap, I have decided to enroll myself into a Plastic Cup Challenge. This challenge consists of writing your name on a disposable plastic up and telling everyone you know that you'll gouge out their eyes if they throw your cup away. Easy peasy.

So far, I'm up to day six with my little blue Solo cup. I wrote my name on it in big letters with a fat Sharpie marker and I have used only this blue cup to drink out of since starting the challenge. Not counting drinking wine out of a wine glass because I just can't bring myself to sip a nice Cabernet out of a plastic cup. I have not run my cup through the dishwasher (yet) as I just rinse it out quickly after I drink something. I return my blue cup to the same spot each day and I've yet to lose it. A miracle in itself if you ask me.

I'm quite curious to find out how long I can keep up this challenge. My goal? One year. I am professing publicly that I will try my hardest to use my plastic cup for one year...hold me to it now. Oh yeah...and I just ordered 150 of the 12oz. compostable cups from here:

http://www.worldcentric.org/store/placups.htm

Do you think I can make it a full year with "little blue"?

7 waggish utterances thus far...:

Anonymous said...

So do you just do this at home and with just liquids?

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just use a non-disposable glass instead of a plastic cup and then you won't have to worry about it breaking so easily.

Reverb said...

Jeromy: So far I am just doing this at home, but I'll be taking "little blue" with me from now on.

Ah yes...good thought anonymous. For me however, this is about stewardship and making things more difficult for myself. I like to play games where I will certainly lose...just to see how long it takes.

Helen Ann said...

We do this with my fam down south during family get-togethers.

What are you drinking coffee from?

DanThoms said...

This reminds me of the year (or was it two) that I only used soap that I got for free from hotels. I had whole stacks of those tiny buggers that people would give me after their vacations.

rob said...

Yeah... I do something similar to this with milk jugs and motor oil... only I don't rinse them out after I dump the oil down the drain!

HAHAHA jk =) Good Luck with that!

Elaine said...

I tried drinking from the same plastic cup for 3 months in college. It was during that time that I got a horrible case of mono and eventually ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks (the doctors initially thought I had leukemia because I was so sick). I'm not saying there is a connection...but wash your cup out really well!