Lost in Apalachiacola...


I had to get something else to read. Simply Christian is a good book...it's just one of those books that makes me fall asleep every time I'm reading it. A realization I'm having is that I need to read "new to me" ideas. It's very difficult for me to ingest more of the same thing over and over. Certain books are full of filler content that really doesn't add to the main idea. This makes me lose interest quickly.

So I borrowed a vewy, vewy nice car from someone and I set off to fill my reading void. We're staying in a somewhat secluded area without the luxuries of McStores on every corner. That's a good thing, but it makes little things like cooking and finding books a bit more difficult. I knew of a small town with a strip of shops in it and I purposely headed in another direction to see what I could find. An hour and a half later, hands empty, I headed for the strip I knew of.

When I pulled up to the eccentric little book store I was greeted by two cats at the door. No I wasn't. I lied. It was one cat and the other animal that I thought was a cat turned out to be a possum upon further inspection. Anyone watching me would have chuckled a bit at my reaction which sounded not unlike a six year old girl at a haunted house. Thankfully there were no possums inside the bookstore where I picked up a copy of In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. I'll let you know how

*leaves blog post mid-sentence to go read new book*

4 waggish utterances thus far...:

Helen Ann said...

ooohhh....looks like a good book. May I borrow it from the Detzel library uponst your completion? It looks refreshing. I have been reading a lot of heavy stuff - good heavy stuff but alot to digest.

carrie doan said...

Simply Christian was a tough one to get into - with VERY long sentences on every page (even though NT Wright is a genius). You are now reading one that I have had a hankering for some time now...

I am reading one now I think you might enjoy - it makes you wonderfully uncomfortable :)
"Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"

Reverb said...

Helen - you can certainly borrow it when I am finished. You actually return books, which is not an innate trait of most I know.

Carrie - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle sounds awesome from title alone. Gimme.

Anonymous said...

Apalachicola is a great place to get lost in. I assume you are talking about Betsy's Downtown, we were just there not long ago. Another bookstore out on St. George has even more cats. Island kitties are cool.