Foodie Post: I'm geeking out...



I talked to some people recently about joining an Organic Food Co-op over the last couple weeks and I got set up with my first box of goodies tonight. Basically, a small group of people travel a little ways out of town to a farmer's market where they fill up a truck with random items. They really never know what they'll end up with as it's a seasonal thing and week to week there might be some of this or that. It's randomonium.

I've been trying to get away from processed foods, that is, foods that come pre-packaged, read chicken nuggets, as much as I can lately. To look inside my cabinets and refrigerator now is a totally different picture than a year ago. I used to buy a lot of convenience foods that typically tasted pretty good, but they just were not good for you. We've been moving toward an attitude of FRESH more and more lately. I am a confessed elitist who wants the best of everything. As I search for the best of the best, I keep running into ORGANIC produce, meat, blah blah blah.

So I join the co-op. It's fifteen bucks a box and everyone gets a random mix of stuff. You never know what you'll end up with. You just have to be ready to make due with what you get. I can do that. There's no meat or anything involved with this particular co-op...it's produce only. I need fruits and vegetables right now more than ever. At a time in my house where germs are spreading faster than giggles in a sex ed. class...I need fruits and vegetables.

So I get my first box tonight. It's huge. I have no idea what's inside it and I can hardly contain myself. It's like I'm five years old at someone else's house for Christmas...you know...someone who gets lots of stuff for Christmas.

Here's what I ended up with...for fifteen bucks:



Good Gourd that's a lot of stuff!!











Final count on everything:

* 3 Avocados
* 2 Peaches
* 1 Pomegranite
* 3 Granny Smith Apples
* 1lb Pearl Onions
* 1lb Button Mushrooms
* 2 - 6oz Raspberries
* 3 - 1lb bags of Carrots
* 2 Eggplants
* 2 bunches of Spinach
* 1 bunch Collard Greens
* 1 package Cherry Tomatoes
* 4 Limes
* 1lb Green Beans
* 4 Red Peppers
* 2 Tangerines
* 1 head Cauliflower
* 1 jar Homemade Horseradish

This was at least $50-$60 worth of FRESH ORGANIC PRODUCE. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all of it. If I know you personally you better watch out. I might show up with something I need to get rid of...I don't think I can go through all of this stuff before it goes bad. That's a great problem to have.

Food Dweeb out.

8 waggish utterances thus far...:

Ryan Allen Doan said...

that is sweet.

Unknown said...

dude... $15.00 a box? Can you get me more info on this? It looks awesome!

Mr. Thoms said...

That may be more vegetables than I ate all of last year. I envision great salads in the future.

Helen Ann said...

Yeah - copy me on the info for Steve!

DanThoms said...

well look at that, I accidentally posted a comment using my brothers account.

carrie doan said...

Omg, I would be totally geeking out too. That is one of my top 5 dreams for 2008.

stepfanie said...

I want details. How do I sign up? :)

Julie said...

I'd love to know too!