...Holy Stromboli.

Okay have you ever heard of that book How to win friends and influence people? They could have shortened that book up quite a bit just by showing you what I'm about to show you.

This my cronies, is STROMBOLI.

I was recently in Vancouver Canada for a week and I had an opportunity to make this for a group of 15 people. Those Canadians began to smile and laugh at my jokes after I served them this masterpiece. Canadians smiling and laughing should be proof in itself. This meal...is holy.

Let's see our stars of the evening shall we?

We've got some Italian Herbs (fancy variety of course), Frozen Pizza Dough, Pepperoni Slices, a 1lb hunk of Mozzarella, a stick of Butter, and some fresh Garlic.

First things first. I let this ball of frozen pizza dough sit out for about 2 hours to thaw. Did you know they sell this stuff at almost every grocery store? It's typically by the garlic bread...now you know. This is a small bag...it's good for one pizza crust or, in this case, one stromboli.

Let's toss some flour on our rolling surface (I'm just using the counter top) so the dough doesn't stick.


Toss said dough blob onto the counter and start working it. By working it I just mean moving it around in your hands to get it to room temperature...it'll be much easier to work with that way.
Now let's roll. You're going to want to roll this dough out into somewhat of a rectangular shape. Get it down to about 1/4 inch thick. This may take a few minutes.

I said somewhat of a rectangular shape...somewhat. Leave me alone.

Move the dough to the side and get choppin' on your garlic and mozzarella.


We'll use 3 cloves of garlic for this particular exercise. If you lay your knife flat against the garlic clove and give it a whack with your palm the skins will come off really easy.


Peel em' outta there. Oh yeah...oven. Pre-heat. 300 degrees.


Now mince up the garlic.


Slice up yer cheese. I finally started using this cheese slicer thingy and it's freakin' awesome. If you don't have a cheese slicer thingy I would imagine a sharp knife might be about to cut through cheese. Maybe.

You can use shredded cheese for this too. I've done provalone and it works great as well.

Now what did you do with the butter? Yes, butter...don't fudge this up by using margarine. Butter makes everything better. Melt down your stick of butter and add about 2-3 tablespoons of your Italian Herbs. Toss your garlic in there too.

Now after you've stirred that all around you can begin spreading it onto the dough. Go on...go nuts with it. Just make sure you leave about half of the butter for later.

Mmmm....

Start laying out your pepperoni now. This is a 100 slice pack...Ima use em' all.

How bout that cheese? Let's get it on there too.

Now it's time to roll it up. A stromboli has 3 folds to it.


2nd fold...


One more fold + a flip over and we should end up with this.

Transfer that baby over to a sheet pan and start slathering on the rest of that herb butter.


Go ahead...drink it in.

Pop that baby into the 300 degree oven for an hour and check out what's waiting for you. Sprinkle on some more Italian herbs to make a point and wait for your new friends to arrive.

Add a bowl of your favorite pizza or spaghetti sauce for dipping and your life is now complete.

Stromboli is proof not only that there is a God...but also that He is good.

6 waggish utterances thus far...:

DanThoms said...

I thought about that piece of stromboli that you offered me all day today. It haunted me, I can't believe I had no apatite. Thats just wrong.

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm making this tomorrow. I want to make my friends think I am as cool as you.

Jonah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

I found your blog through the pioneer woman and I wanted to let you know I made this Stromboli tonight for dinner and my whole family liked it. Thanks for posting it!

Steph said...

This looks absolutely divine! I have a huge bag of pepperoni, and I've been wondering what to do with it...looks like I found an answer.

Anonymous said...

Ok..since I saw this recipe I have wanted to make it...I just sent my hubby to the store to pick up the ingredients that we don't have!! I suddenly am craving this! Thanks for sharing your quick and easy way to make it truly wonderful!