Some things...

Ava is not quite sure if she likes Mama with a fro.
DSC_0050

For those curious about an update regarding my sister...so am I. I showed up on a day where she wasn't able to have visitors. I dropped $35 into her commissary account so she knew I was there...I'm going to try again today. Sometime between 1pm-3pm I'll have 15 minutes. Thank you all for praying, commenting, and thinking of us.

I got a new flash a few days ago. It's a Nikon SB800...it's fun.

DSC_0019

In the past week I have been mistaken for an employee of a store...4 times.

The first time was at the grocery store when a mean old lady on a motorized cart buzzed up to me as I shopped. She said, "I need some Rice-A-Roni, but I want the chili kind." to which I responded...."Um, uh...I can help you find that...I'm not quite sure where it is though." to which she responded, "Don't you work here?" to which I responded, "Nope. I can help you find it though." to which she responded, "Well ain't I just a damn fool!!" and she buzzed away.

The second mistaken employee identity happened at Best Buy as I was killing time looking through CDs. A man approached me and simply asked if I worked there. I pointed him towards 50 or 60 people in bright blue Best Buy shirts.

The third and fourth times people thought I worked somewhere was in a Borders bookstore. I received a $50 gift card for Pastor's Appreciation Month (<---who knew right?) and I was meandering back and fourth trying to figure out what to spend my free cash on. Two women at two different times...one young and one old asked me if I could help them find the language books. Seriously? Do I have a way of looking very employee-ish when I'm in a store? I'm wondering if I walk around like I know what I'm doing or something. This happens all the time...does this happen to other people? I can honestly say it happens to me at least once every couple of weeks. I want some answers.

I ended up buying a cook book that I've wanted for a very long time. I don't normally buy cookbooks because I'm a bit of an off-the-cuff kind of chef. But this cookbook is one of those books you really want to have. THE SILVER SPOON. It was just translated into English a couple years back and it's all about authentic Italian cooking. It has everything in it.

DSC_0008

There is a guest post up on the Pioneer Woman Cooks website right now...check it.

Ryan and Carrie celebrated their 2nd wedding anniversary by brewing up some beer yesterday. Our whole house smelled of yeast and overall stank.

DSC_0012

DSC_0020

That's enough randomness for today. Over and out.

33 waggish utterances thus far...:

Kool Aid said...

Don't ever wear a red shirt to Target. That's all I have to say about that.

Julie said...

The Silver Spoon is one of my favorite cookbooks. I really ought to cook more out of it. I buy all of these cookbooks (particularly when they're on remainder like SS was) and then go online to find recipes, or just go off the cuff. Silly!

Not Too Old said...

I was interested to hear how it went with your sister. I'll keep on praying for a powerful connection-it's amazing what the Spirit can do in only 15 minutes.

Anonymous said...

My mom is regularly mistaken for an employee too.
I wonder if it has something to do with having the aura of 'being helpful'. I noticed that people I know that are regularly friendly and like to help are more often asked if they work at the shop... maybe people thrift towards that instead of looking for nametags? xP

Krista said...

When I was younger I had a terrible impulse to organize books where ever I went. I couldn't help myself. Therefore, I got mistaken for an employee a lot. But that was entirely my fault.

momofonefornow said...

I don't like shrimp. Made the shrimp for hubby. I tasted the shrimp before I served it. I ate half a bag of spicy orange garlic shrimp!It was de.lic.ious. I posted pics on my blog. http://momofonefornow.blogspot.com/2008/11/hellooooo-crustacean.html

I can't believe I ate that much shrimp.

achildoftheking said...

Prayers going up for Amie.

As far as looking like an employee of a store... I keep a dazed & confused look on my face like I'm totally lost in the store.. Honestly, it keeps people away from me... it's like when they see me they go the other way. LOL I love it. It allows me to "be alone" in the store... which is what I like.

Sonja Chandler (The Sideline Mom) said...

Ryan this is very funny as I have been mistaken as an employee more times than I care to count. It is my belief that it is our "helpful energy" and "know what were doing apperance" that other people can pick up on. Not that this is truth, just a opinion. Funny thing is I usually end up helping those people like an employee would because I usually know where everything is in the store I'm in. Go figure.

I hope you have a chance to see your sister today and to be in her presense and she in yours and that you both can feel better for it.
Peace be with you as you go.

And awesome new flash. I still have questions bout the whole flash thing and now that I see that you DO use one I may become a nusance. (nusance?) But I hope not.

Have a great day!

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

I've been approached in a Home Depot {of all places!!} and was asked if I worked there. I tried to hold back on the sarcasm and replied no sorry. It puzzled me. I was just standing around waiting for the husband to finish shopping, maybe it was because I looked bored...

DanThoms said...

I am continually mistaken for an employee. More often than not it happens at thrift stores when I'm looking at books. This has happened to me multiple times at multiple stores in a single day. Interestingly enough I normally do end up helping the person find what they are looking for. I think this may have to do with a) looking like you know what you are doing and b) looking helpful and approachable.

Kim said...

The mean old lady in the motorized cart is by far my fav. ;)

My mouth literally dropped open at The Silver Spoon....MUST.GO.TO.BOOKSAMILLION!!

Will continue praying for your visit with your sis...

I'm fascinated with photography and all the gadgets and gizmos, but I only have a point and shoot. It takes wonderful photos though! Canon Powershot A720.

And...to answer your question...yes, I've been mistaken for a store employee. and I will agree...we must have a "helpful" aura about us! ;)

Blessings!!
Kim
ps..off to check out the link to PDubs site, and I enjoy your random posts about everything and nothing in particular. ;)

mdvelazquez said...

It happens to me occasionally. I think that if you give off approachable, friendly vibes people are drawn to you.

mdvelazquez said...

P.S. I'm sending prayers to Amie.

Anonymous said...

oh.mah.goodness! made your spicy orange garlic shrimp tossed it with linguine and holy moly was it delish!

www.crabapple.wordpress.com

Michelle said...

Maybe you look young and hip...that might be the explanation for Borders anyway....lol

The Neon Mouse said...

Just read about your sister and she and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope you see her today.

I get confused for an employee a lot!! I think it is a combination of things. I fix shirts that fell off the hangers, I put chip bags that fell back on the shelf. I like to think I'm making someone's job a little easier (probably not by a lot). I also compare unit prices on food, that probably doesn't help my case. Oh and I smile at people... duh, they must think I work there because who smiles at people in a grocery store?! :P Haha... Guess I come across as one of those helpful people too...

Laufa said...

You just have a young, college, need a minimum wage job look working for you. But at least you were helpful, even though some didn't want your help.

Paul said...

Unfortunately the only time I was taken for an employee was when I really was an employee. That's the worst kind. Why couldn't I have been mistaken for a customer???

Lisa said...

you're funny. :)

Tracie said...

I get asked questions in stores all the time. I always try to help but I do tell them I don't work there...maybe we exude some sort of store knowledge?

Rach said...

Good Afternoon,
By the way I stopped by your
wifes blog... Have you gone out
and replaced the dogs batteries???
Just popped into my mind when you were yaking about stores...
{I meant for their collars}

Kelly said...

I had to do a double take of Tracy Friday night myself. She said Hi to Doug and he had no clue who she was. She looked fabulous! Can't say I have ever been mistaken for a store employee though.
I have been wondering about your visit and continuing in prayer for both of you.

puddlegirl said...

Remember that oe time we were in Grand Cayman and our cab driver kept callin you the "Wool-berry"? Maybe all the ladies just want to talk to you b/c you look like Hugh Jackman/ The Wolverine

Kelly said...

Only time I was mistaken for an employee was when I wore an orange shirt to Home Depot. kool aid I will remember the "no red shirt" to Target tip.

Cara said...

I happens to me on a regular basis!

An Unlikely Retirement said...

This happens to me all the time! Someone told me once that it was because I look at people and smile at them.

julie s. said...

i don't get mistaken for an employee but everywhere i go people talk to me. not just the random "hi" but the "i'm going to tell you my entire life story here in the aisle of kroger" kind of talk. it's no lie. you can ask my husband. i purposely keep my head down and try not to make eye contact and people still TALK to me. wierd. i don't really mind. i just think it's funny.

Amy said...

What a wonderful compliment to be mistaken for employees so often - you must be very approachable! I have a similar issue - I go to Starbucks frequently to get work done, as I work from home. People often come sit down and want to spark up conversation. I'm like 'Hello! Can't you see I'm working!' I've come to the realization that it's my opportunity to make a positive difference.

Christie said...

I don't regularly get mistaken as an employee, but it has happened a number of times. I like the reasoning a lot of people have been giving- like "having the aura of 'being helpful.'" Sometimes it's just good to interact with someone who needs help, even if you don't know what they're looking for.

Tenntrace said...

One of my favorite (or it used to be) non-blue jeans outfits to wear to work consisted of an oversize dark blue collared Carhartt shirt and kakhi pants. Well... if you've been to Walmart lately, you've noticed their new uniform, blue shirts and kakhi pans. Now I check what I'm wearing when I run to Walmart.
Still praying for you and your sister, even though your meeting time is over for today.

Debbie said...

I rarely get mistaken for an employee but sometimes I am the one who mistakes other shoppers as such. It really makes you feel foolish!
I too, am praying for your sister.

Brad Ruggles said...

So what kind of beer did you brew? Do you have one of those brewing kits or did you just fashion something together yourself?

Anonymous said...

I believe that it shows what a monumental idiot I can be when it doesn't click that you are PASTOR RYAN - even though I've cropped and edited your photos, linked your blog, and other doo-hicky stuff at Ree's.

What clicked with me?
The tattoos.
Oh how I love tattoos...apparently THEY get my attention when all the other stuff falls away.