Encounter // I'll kill her...

DSC_0007

We held a Wednesday night Encounter service last night. This is the second time we've done this. We are shooting for once a month. Encounter is essentially an act of obedience. We feel that God has called us to "Do the stuff" that the bible talks about.

Encounter is an opportunity to experience the God of the bible...not just read about Him, not just pray to Him, not just talk about Him. It's an invitation for the God of the universe to come and make His very presence felt among us. And so we invite Him. We invite Him to come and do things. We invite him to heal people...emotionally, spiritually, physically.

DSC_0010

There is lots of music and lots of prayer flowing around our rented facility. Some day we may own a "church building" but that day is not today. What I've noticed however is that it doesn't seem to hinder God from moving...hmm. Interesting.

DSC_0012

Afterward there is a good bit of hang out time.

Adam has bought himself a good camera...he seems to be pleased about it.

DSC_0016

Have you heard? Dan is gangsta now.

DSC_0015

Speaking of Dan...he turned me on to this video the other day. I am utterly fascinated by it. Watch it all the way till the end and let me know how afraid you are on a scale of zero to fail. At over 2.5 million views on YouTube...well...just check it out.

This is what MySpace has done to the world...

24 waggish utterances thus far...:

Elaine said...

Encounter- Cool. Wish I could have been there.
Video- Ummm... disturbing is the word that comes to mind.

Brea in Texas said...

Our little church out here didn't have a building for several years. Actually, we'll celebrate our one year in the building anniversary this Christmas. But it never stopped us from all the things God chose to bless us with, or that He asked us to do.

Sounds like a wonderful kind of service y'all do!

~Brea

jen said...

Honestly, doesn't bother me at all. Looks like typical teenage angst to me. She reminds me of Lili Taylor's character in Say Anything. It's just angry teenage girl music. For teenagers, everything is the end of the world; they want to kill themselves, or whoever they think wronged them. I wouldn't worry about a girl who's coping well enough to write an angry song, and perform it for the world. Ninety-nine percent of the time, just the act of writing the song is cathartic enough. It's the ones who sit in their rooms and stew, and don't talk to anyone, who are in trouble.

DanThoms said...

I must say, I do love that song. I'm pretty sure that she is fairly famous in Europe. I first heard the song on my way to the Taj Mahal. The little Swiss girl who I was with had it on her ipod. I'm fairly certain that the song is supposed to be a bit humorous.

Jennifer said...

Severe teen angst.

teri1960sumpthin said...

Doesn't bother me either...dunno, maybe I'm weird?

Reverb said...

I'm less bothered than I am fascinated.

Debbie said...

Sorry, this disturbs me. It is dark, depressing, and sends out the wrong message. Some teen-aged girls are so mean and aggresive now days. Just look at the amount of cat fights posted on the internet. Just my opinion - I think the mother in me is ruling on this one.

ylmurph said...

so....um...catfights? (I just don't have the guts to leave the comment from the guy who asks for specific examples...that would be bad...and funny to me)

I'm maturing...a bit

just not in humility

Lady Nisa said...

Video - The quote of "Emo... Because actually trying requires too much effort" comes to mind.

puddleboy said...

This song was actually #1 on Denmark's iTunes store in 2007 and is also a hit in Australia

wikipedia.org

I think the song is pretty catchy, the quirky English (French people, LOL) and delivery adds appeal.

The song's subject matter (my ex-boyfriend is going out with some other girl) should be a bit "dark and depressing". Unless break-ups for other people are different than they have been for me in the past, they usually don't involve rainbows, puppies and milkshakes. The "I'll kill her" lyric is just a dysphemism for her anger, not a literal declaration of intent.

Warning, anecdotal evidence: I have often found, personally, that music is a great outlet for negative feelings. Writing music that expresses the way I am feeling or listening to music that reflects my mood has always been therapeutic for me.

Conclusion: The song is pretty good, I like it, I can see how many people can connect with it in a positive way. Your mileage may vary.

Lady Nisa said...

Meh. Its still crappy emo music to me. Maybe I'm a bit of a emo-hater, but I really can't take an artist seriously who has songs titles like "I think I'm pregnant" and "I hate your dog"

darthmom said...

@ puddleboy -- well said! I had to get out my dictionary to understand it but that's cool I love learning new words.

I liked the song -- she's the anti-Miley Cyrus and the world needs that right now.

Covenant Vision said...

words aside (accepting there may be a hundred and 1 reasons she wrote them) it's a very pretty song. good guitar playing, and she has a good voice. good performance too. I'm not a massive lover of pretending (which performance can sometimes be) but it can be undeniably powerful.
plus, on the words front, i bet loads of people connect with the words (however young or old they are.) And in a way, i do to, cos i can relate to teenage angst. I had it! God we need you in our world!

ksw said...

Sometimes teenaged angst goes too far. There were four teenager suicides in the town I live in today. One of those teenagers shot himself in the head and was found by his 9 year old sister. I don't think it's appropriate for anybody, especially teenagers (since they're so fractious anyway) to speak lightly about the taking of a life.

I am curious why you find it fascinating, though.

Debbie said...

I am sorry if my comment offended anyone. I was just expressing how I felt about the song. Everyone's perspective is different and I respect that.

Not Too Old said...

This is just a mild version of all those 80s punk and heavy metal lyrics - rape, pillage, plunder and kill. Listen to Anthrax, or Megadeth, and THEN get disturbed. What's scary to me now is there seems to be more mindless people out there who actually take this seriously, and act upon it - either that or we just hear about it more from the media.

What really irritates me about these lyrics is the same irritation I get in real life: Boy cheats on girlfriend, and girlfriend gets mad beats up the other girl instead of the boy. It's just so sad that they think so little of themselves that they'll stick with someone who isn't true.

snobound said...

We all know Dan isn't Gangsta, he's "sexy beard".

Tiffany said...

No wonder he broke up with her!

EG said...

This reminds me... I suggest friending any potential babysitters on Facebook. It's good to know what level of angst and drama your babysitters have.

I love that girl's accent, but I really love when she leans down and kisses her guitar player's shoulder.

You're right - fascinating.

I'd love to be a teenager again with the experience and emotional age I have now. There's not enough money in the world to make me go back and feel the way it felt to be a teenager, though.

Welcome! said...

Encounter sounds awesome! The video? Too scary to even think about, let alone rate.

achildoftheking said...

I love the encounter part... that video with the girl... she was french speaking english.... It just sounded like jibberish to me... as she was "trying" to sing...

"not impressed".

heidt.jenn said...

The Encounter service sounds awesome! I believe that the feeling of electricity in the atmosphere that is far greater than any lightning storm, and the calming feeling that is more natural than the soothing of a parent's voice to an upset child; those are the best feelings in this universe. When the presence of God Almighty is in the room - oh boy - I'm done for. God will be where those who seek Him are. He inhabits our praises and He is no respecter of persons, let alone church bodies with buildings they own, or those that rent a facility. God bless you guys for what you are doing in obeying His word.

Unknown said...

Wow, my parenting alarm is just ringing in my head right now after watching that video. And that alarm is so not developed fully so I worry about what I will do when my kids are bigger.