Losing myself...

I've determined that I never want to own a car without a sunroof again.

It's just not worth it to me. If I had to choose between a 2005 Ford Mustang and a 1998 Honda Accord with a sunroof...I'm taking the Honda.

Yesterday I took a drive. It was 70 degrees outside and I just wanted to drive back roads. The sunroof and windows were down, and music was propelling me to get lost. There is simply nothing better.

Here's what I was listening to:

coldplay-viva-la-vida

Coldplay: Viva La Vida or Death and all his friends

This CD is phenomenal. It brings you through a mood that is positive and for some reason draws emotion out of me. It starts and ends in the same way, so you never really know when it ends or begins...I'll listen to it all the way through and not even notice that I'm back on track 3 all of the sudden. You should buy it.

&

sigur_ros__USA

Sigur Ros: ( )

Sigur Ros is an Icelandic band that rocks my face. I went to sleep last night with it playing in my ear and it caused me to have interestingly amazing dreams. You should buy it.

So what do you drive to?

What's some music that you can lose yourself in?

30 waggish utterances thus far...:

Cindy said...

I tend to get lost in songs by U2, All the Day Holiday, Jason Upton, Delerious, Gabe Dixon Band....

Good music is medicine for the soul.

Unknown said...

I love to drive (heck, I love to live) to Avett Brothers, especially their most recent album, Emotionalism. It is just so happy and banjo-laden that it never ceases to put me in a good mood.

Norma said...

Love Mary, Mary and I love it LOUD!!! Santana too!!

Candy said...

I am lucky, I have speakers and the internet at work and I listen to music all day, courtesy of Pandora.

I absolutely love that Coldplay song. I swear sometimes I can hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing myself.

I tried to make your Linguine Carbonara from Ree's site the other day. It was a little dry. Not sure what I did wrong...sigh...

Bridge said...

Indigo Girls, Retrospective

achildoftheking said...

Right here baby:
http://tinyurl.com/3xtz83
[riding in the windy; I could use my ipod, but haven't yet]

http://tinyurl.com/3rkwep
[notice the sunroof; I don't listen to as much music driving as I should!]

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

It's a guarantee with anything from these three bands/artists...

* 311
* Angels & Airwaves
* Coldplay

I have an Itunes mix with just them, put it on shuffle on my computer, and just melt. I love music.

Tosha said...

Josh Ritter, Girlyman, Patty Griffin.

Everytime I listened to the song Wicked Game by Chris Isaak, I'm instantly transported into driving down an old desert highway with the windows down and wind blowing through my hair. This became reality for me one time on a drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. It was the most kick-butt reality moment ever!

Not Too Old said...

Allman Brothers - I listen to Greatest Hits, but any album will do. Also Paul Simon - Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints, and Peter Gabriel's soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. All great songs to listen to.

flanthrower said...

Oh man....I could listen to Sigur Ros non-stop. They're amazing and if you ever have a chance to see them live it's an experience not to be missed. Btw, have you checked out their last two albums? (One's called Tak and the other has some ridiculously Icelandlicly long name I can't even begin to repeat.) I happen to like them even better than ( ).

Katelyn said...

Oh man. I listen to anything and everything.

My ONE song that is my perfect driving song is "A Lifetime" by Better Than Ezra. You should definitely listen to it. It's so awesome.

But I also love Coldplay, Something Corporate, 311, and I've recently gotten into Gabe Dixon. He came and played a private concert for one of my classes and I fell in love with his music.

Not Too Old said...

http://www.youngatheartchorus.com/
Check this out - take a look at the audio and video clips - a fantastic rendition of "Fix You"

Pam Lee said...

Blue Man Group- Oh, YEAH!!!
Also, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Seal, and Vallejo are my favorites to rock out to in my Ford Taurus V8 SHO with the sun roof open, thank you very much!!

By the way, I just got back from Scotland two weeks ago (sister's wedding) and got The Red Hot Chili PIPERS (Bagrock to the Masses), and they play Coldplay's "Clocks"...quite different set to bagpipes!

Reverb said...

@ Candy - Sorry about the Carbonara issue...I always just add some olive oil, chicken stock, or water if it's a little too dry.

There's a "that's what she said." joke in there somewhere.

@ Flanthrower - I've also got Hvarm, Med sud i eyrum vid spilum endalaust, and Takk from Sigur Ros...I love them all.

Reverb said...

@ Kimberly - Yes, I am jealous.

@ lilsho - I would purchase anything the Red Hot Chili Pipers sells on name alone.

DanThoms said...

Soko, acualy I've only really listened to one of her songs but its so funny. It may just be the French accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25AsfkriHQc

The Neon Mouse said...

Coldplay Parachutes... I know it's a bit outdated now, but I can still listen to that thing over and over and over and over... who needs therapy when there is Coldplay?!

Maleia - Senior Product Manager said...

I KNEW there was a reason I liked you. These albums are AMAZING!

achildoftheking said...

Ryan, driving in my PT Cruiser I love listening to the soundtrack for "A Knight's Tale". I love classic rock! Especially Queen.

Pam Lee said...

Kimberly!!
When I went to Scotland for my sister's wedding, I discovered that now through marriage I have a famous relative- Kate the Farrier from A Knight's Tale...ok- follow this: My siser's new husband's cousin, Laura Fraser! She is the nicest person- we hung out together and I never knew who she was!! When I got back to the states and was talking to someone who happened to know, I was like "DOH!!! sigh......

achildoftheking said...

Lil SHO, That's too funny. That's cool that you got to hang out with Laura and just know her as the cousin of your brother-in-law.

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie said...

When I want to go far far away...
http://www.youtube.com
/watch?v=3h0o_irhzxs

When I want to remember my courtship with my husband...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0nxsx6aXo
AND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebt5mieZ4Gw&feature=related

(please ignore the videos that goes with the songs)

4:32 PM
Delete

Ida Rose said...

I have such ever changing moods, it all depends on when you ask me. Currently I am loving the newest Tv on the Radio album, specfically the track "Family Tree". So haunting and beautiful. I also have been listening to Roy Orbison REALLY loudly when I am drive at night. My favorites are "Candy Man" and "Dream Baby". Late night is truely the best time to sing along as loud as the songs.

Debbie said...

I am loving - One Republic: Dreaming Out Loud. I went out and bought their CD after I saw them open for John Mayer.

keltic said...

My taste changes with the seasons, but right now it's Jeff Buckley (Lilac Wine) and Bobby McFerrin (Common Threads), "The Middle" (Jimmy Eat World) .
But my favorite is always my husband's music - Steve Wick ("Destination A" etc.) It's in my contract to say that. Ha.

kelli
www.meinplace.com

Unknown said...

Keane(Hopes and Fears), Green Day (American Idiot), Emmylou Harris (Red Dirt Girl), plus girl folk/alt stuff and any old U2, Indigo Girls, and Cold Play as mentioned before. That's just today's selection, this topic could go on and on and....fun!

Jessica said...

Viva la Vida was our summer jam. Totally love it.

mdvelazquez said...

I don't drive. :-)

My mood dictates what I cruise to while riding the subway. Sometimes it is soft and sweet and sometimes it is funky.

I can always get lost in Nina Simone, Harry Connick, and Bon Jovi.

Feisty Irish Wench said...

Hands down, the favorite is Cheer Up Charlie. My 6 year old daughter and I LOVE blasting it while on the road. Following behind Cheer Up Charlie would be LeCrae, Fugees, Mary J Blige, Taylor Swift, Rascal Flatts and such a hodge podge that I suprise myself. Thanks Norma ;) I'm off to find my Santana duets cd from the 90s. I also love big band sounds, and the stuff from early radio days, the Rat Pack era...