Living out of excess...

I love coffee. Have I mentioned that before? With Java, I'm like a senior citizen when it comes to free samples at the grocery...I just can't get enough.

DSC_0001

About six months ago a man came to me with a small baggie of contraband. It was wrapped in a brown paper lunch bag with my name written on it. As the words, "What's this?" began to leave my mouth, my hands made contact with the secret substance and my nose clued me in on what was inside. Before he even said anything, I knew it was coffee.

The aroma was so stout and confident...these weren't like other coffee smells I had come in contact with. As I opened up the paper sack, I could see that there was a small plastic sandwich bag filled with beautiful, dark-brown coffee beans. A masking tape label was displayed prominently reading: Roast City #1 - Guatemala

Glancing up from my surprise, he said to me, "I know how much you like coffee...so I figured I would let you try some of mine. I've been roasting my own coffee at home and I brought this for you."

This man is a coffee purist. While he doesn't have a lot of money, he definitely appreciates the finer things in life. He's developed an at-home method of roasting his own raw coffee beans that he orders online. This allows him to take part in a hobby, experience some of the finest coffee known to man at a much lower price, and share something he loves with people. Oh...and his at-home roasting method consists of a popcorn popper, open doors/windows, and lots of experience.

Thanking the man for the coffee I walked away and I didn't see him for a week. When I did see him again. He had another bag of coffee for me. It was also appreciated. When I saw him a week after that, he brought me yet another bag of home-roasted coffee that was out of this world in quality. At this I had to ask him, "Why are you bringing me coffee every week?"

He told me that he really appreciated all the things I did for people and that this was just his way of being able to serve me and say thank you. He told me that while he doesn't have much money, this is a way for him to do something of high value for me. Dollars permitting, he has brought me a small bag of coffee beans each week for the last six months. I've consumed every last bean.

This man is living out of excess rather than absence.

And he has no idea how much that means to me.

12 waggish utterances thus far...:

UNCHEWABLE said...

very cool story

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

MMM I can only imagine how good that would taste! Do you take your coffee black? With cream?

Holly said...

I think the only thing better than coffee... is FREE coffee....

Norma said...

I love when I/people live out what God has put on their hearts. HE is a great and wonderful Lord we serve. Have a great day.

Holly said...

The world would be a nicer place if we all lived that way. Caring for each other without expecting anything in return.

Reminds me of someone.

Jesus.

Kaci said...

Yum! I love coffee too!

Traci Best said...

Wow.

Incredibly cool!

What a touching thing to do! I love his example to us...

Traci

Jenny said...

Sounds like an awesome man. Awesome.

Any news on Gideon?

Ellyn said...

Great story.

Jim Estill said...

Great story. Too much coffee is not good for you. Perhaps suggest he brings you green tea? Just teasing

Erin Moore said...

Try Gobena coffee- helps orphans and tastey all at once!

Brad Ruggles said...

Dude, that is so awesome! I'm a coffee enthusiast as well (my wife calls me a coffee snob) so I can appreciate just how much these gifts would mean.

By the way, who is this guy and how can I meet him? :-)