Alzheimer's Love...


This morning I had a funny thought...it all started with a serious thought and as usual I had to make it into something silly.

About 7 years ago I started a club at my grandma's house. I happened to stop by her house one night while I was waiting for Ryan to finish playing cards. I ended up staying late into the night as she told me stories about how her and my grandpa had met, stories of how they had dated, and funny stories of their kids growing up. It was a lot of fun, so the next week I called a few of my girl cousins and they all came over and we played the dice game at grandma's house and just had fun hanging out. Our club continued on for several years. For a while it was named "Girl's night" but soon there were almost as many guys as girls so we ended up calling it "Dice Club" (since we played the dice game all night). We even had a championship belt that we got to write our names on if we won that night.

One night after dice, my grandma gets out a letter that she had received that week from Mr. L (name changed to protect the innocent). We got hysterical as she read parts of the letter and made faces as she read the letter (she did not like Mr.L, at least not in the romantic sense). Mr. L professed his love her, talked about how he wanted to lie next to her, and kiss her. She just kept saying eww...I can't believe he wrote that, and then she would laugh some more.


Fast forward to today...a lot has happened over the past few years. Sometimes my grandma remembers my name when I see her and most of the time she doesn't. She still recognizes me and professes her love for me when I see her...and I can see the love she has for me in her eyes. Her Alzheimer's has made her forget a lot of things. One of those things she forgot was that she was not in love with Mr. L...they're kind of girlfriend and boyfriend.

So this is where my serious thought gets silly. This morning as I was thinking about all of this, I had a thought. Never give up on the person you secretly admire...one day they too could have Alzheimer's, forget that they don't like you, and fall in love with you...

4 waggish utterances thus far...:

DanThoms said...

Wait, would it be wrong of me to pray that someone gets Alzheimers? Hmmmm

Dear Lord, please give _______ a mild case Alzheimers. ha ha ha

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness. That is hysterical. Mr. L did get lucky, didn't he? Well, I hope not too lucky....if you know what I mean...after all, your grandma is my mom and that would be gross....to me but not Mr. L.

Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

That is a wonderful story!!! I love it, and yes, it is funny.

I also love that you and your cousins went and spent time with your grandma. I am off to my grandma;s tonight with a couple of aunts and a bunch of cousins for a fondue party...so, I can relate.

Elaine said...

Is it just me, or has this blog gotten significantly better over the past week or so...