A Fresh Pair of Asics...


My lovely wife Allison and her younger sister Andrea have pronounced a goal to do a half-marathon together. Now I know it's called a half-marathon, but to me it's more like a quadruple marathon.

Here's MY scale:

* Full Marathon (26 Miles) - 8 Marathons in a row AKA Absolute Certain Death...on a Stick.

* Half Marathon (13 Miles) - 4 Marathons in a row AKA Probable Expiration + Agony.

* Triathlon Run (6 Miles) - 2 Marathons in a row AKA Heat Stroke + Torment = Delirium.

* Jogging (Anywhere between 3 steps and many miles) - This is a simple lapse in judgment.

Thankfully, we're not talking about MY scale in this post. We're talking about Allison and Andrea's scales / goals / running abilities.

When Allison told me that she and her sister would be doing this I was a bit surprised at first. Not that I didn't think they could do it, I do. I think I was surprised that they would jump right into such a big undertaking. I'm extremely proud of them.

As a husband this feels like a big opportunity area to me. I'm so excited that Allison would be going after such a big goal like this. I feel like I need to support her in any way I can. This kind of stuff is crucial for a marriage. When I started training for the triathlons I took part in, Allison supported me by allowing me to buy certain things and get out there and exercise when I needed to. I want to do the same for her.

We went out yesterday and got her a nice pair of running shoes. I was thinking about getting her some as soon as she mentioned it. There's something to getting a new this or that when it comes to a goal. A new pair of shoes is great for having comfort and support when running, but more than that they provide accountability. When I get something new I feel like I have to use it for at least a while. I can't just toss it aside...I've got some answering to do if I don't make use of something.

These shoes will provide just that...an opportunity to be set up for success and the responsibility to keep at it. "You can't stop training...those shoes were $$$!!"

Combine those new shoes with an offer to watch Ava whenever I can and I know she can do this. I can't wait to see it happen...and I can't wait to see the full marathon after that. Allison doesn't ever give up...she'll never be able to stop with a HALF marathon.

Running...Pffft.

6 waggish utterances thus far...:

Ryan Allen Doan said...

Carrie would love to run one with her when we get back.

DanThoms said...

I can think of very few things that I would rather do less than that. I think I would pass out from asthma and my heart would explode. That is a good goal though, I'm sure they can do it.

Melanie Price said...

What an amazing goal! She will feel so proud and you will be beaming like it was you who did it.
Hey, I need more than one of your blogs every two - three days - Come on!!!

Unknown said...

Yay for Allison and Andrea! My goal is to get to a point where I can run again, and I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

I've about worn out my New Balance's from all the walking I've been doing, it's time to get a new pair

carrie doan said...

your wife rocks. are they doing the flying pig?

I was contemplating signing up for that one again...

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahaha, your scale is fabulous!!