A Very Special Dance Party...

Last night Allison, Ava, and I went to a Christmas party held at Children's Hospital for Allison's work. Allison works with a program called Project Search where she provides job coaching for people with special needs. Students in the program might have Down Syndrome, or Autism, or some other form of mental/physical disability.

While these students might have a hard time learning how to do certain things in life, I don't believe dancing is a problem area. Those peeps can dance. You know how you go to a wedding and maybe 25% of the people dance? And that's at a good wedding! This was nothing like that...at this party there was some serious dancing happening. Without reservation people flailed wildly and it was exquisite. No one cared if they looked cool or dorky. There wasn't any room for people who couldn't get over themselves.

Here's a little taste:



Not only was there dancing, but there was also Karaoke and the only way Allison and I could describe that experience was "horrifyingly beautiful". This was the best dance party I've ever been to. If you're ever having issues with self-confidence or not fitting in...go dancing with handicapped people. It helps.

5 waggish utterances thus far...:

DanThoms said...

Wow, those guys dance at about the same level as me. Very funny, looks like a good time.

Ryan Allen Doan said...

i wish I could have been there. I need to cut loose and shake my groove thang.

Helen Ann said...

In my field of work these are the people considered to be "delayed"...Makes me wonder if maybe these are actually people who understand what's important in life more quickly than "typicals".

Hmmm.

Unknown said...

That was beautiful, seriously. What joy in their faces.

"...I will celebrate before the LORD. I will become even more undignified than this..."

Helen Ann said...

Indeed!