Borderline "Losing It"...

Some of you may think we're crazy, and you might not be mistaken, but on our quest to be a little stranger than most we have decided that we are going to keep chickens at our house.

We don't plan to have a Rooster at this time, but you never know. At this point, we're in the research stage as none of us have ever done this before. I am looking up information on building a Do-It-Yourself Chicken Coop with a run for around 8-12 Hens.



From what I understand, it's best to start out with adult chickens before trying to raise them. This should be fun. I'm sure there will be all kinds of adventures involved. We're also plotting a good-sized garden to get some vegetables and herbs growing at the house. It's about 30ft x 30ft so far. We're going to try our hand at some organic hippie stuff.

If you've got any insight or leads for info on getting into chicken farming please let me know. If you're a personal friend of ours...look out for some fresh eggs sometime in the near future.

9 waggish utterances thus far...:

Caitlyn said...

Haha...It's not crazy my sister, I live with bought 4 chicks to raise...right now they're in our laundry room, till all their feathers grow. Then we'll be putting them outside in the chicken coop.

Unknown said...

Mmmm fresh eggs. Love 'em! I've got the hook-up from Melanie now on them

Anonymous said...

How cool! Wish I could do that... but unfortunately our whole backyard is about as big as your new garden! LOL

DanThoms said...

so this means that you've convinced the last adult in your household that this is a good idea.

Helen Ann said...

I hope that this will only be for eggs and that you don't plan on wringing their cute little necks to make chicken soup!!

I will have a total meltdown and chain myself to their coop.

Helen Ann said...

Hey - that rhymed!

Ryan Allen Doan said...

it's gonna be sweet.

melanie said...

I'm with Helen on this one ~ I'm chained right there with ya' Helen. I have been known to free someone's fish off their line if I know they are going to eat it and I might just have to set all your chickens free if you're going to eat them!

Helen Ann said...

Thanks, Melanie! It's good to have an ally!