Hit by a truck...

I'm fairly certain I have Gastroenteritis AKA the Stomach Flu. I haven't been this sick in a long, long time. So far I've lost 7lbs in the past 36 hours. My body feels like I was in a car accident. To be exact...it feels like the time I passed out behind the wheel of my truck and almost died.

It was around a year and a half ago now. Our group was coming into the home stretch of an all-night fasting and prayer event we held in the parking lot of a movie theater. We were all hungry and tired and a few of us had a serious Chipotle desire that had to be fulfilled. We stopped in, and I gorged myself on Cilantro-Lime Rice, Pinto Beans, Adobo Chicken, Red Chili Salsa, Sour Cream, and Cheddar-Jack Cheese. I grabbed another caffeinated beverage to further fuel my shaky, false alertness and I was finally on my way home. It should have only been a thirteen minute drive, but it ended up being much more.

As I approached the halfway point to my house I came into the 3-lane section of North Bend Rd. I remember vividly being wide awake. A song I liked came on the radio and I reached to turn it up. Just as I reached the crest of a small hill I passed out. A moment later I returned to consciousness to find my foot still pressing on the gas pedal and over 40+ feet of fence post through the center of my truck. A man was standing outside my window frantically checking to see if I was okay. Here's what he saw:




I thank God every time I think about my passed out, ragdoll self piloting a truck across three lanes of road without hurting anyone. Someone could have easily been killed. A trip to the ER showed that there wasn't something right going on in me. The doctors said they believe I have what's called a Shunt in my heart and that's what caused me to pass out. It was never resolved medically, but I believe God "fixed" me through His healing touch. It was an isolated incident and I pray that it never happens again.

All that to say...my body feels like it felt the next day after that accident. My wife and little girl have this illness as well. So do several other people we know...pray that this leaves us...it's not fun!

Over and out.

4 waggish utterances thus far...:

DanThoms said...

Its a good think that pole wasn't over a few feet. People rarely look their best when they are missing their heads.

Helen Ann said...

I remember when Steve told me about this. I couldn't make it to the prayer event because I had to drive to Florida. So he was filling me in on everything. He said you actually prayed during the event for the Holy Spirit to hit you like a Mack truck or something to that effect. Somehow I don't think you meant it that literally! :)

It was definitely the hand of our wonderful God that protected you from all the ways that could have been a horrible tragedy.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. That's amazing...

Ryan Allen Doan said...

You have just been prayed for. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Did you have an EKG done? Did they check to make sure you don't have Long QT? It's a syndrome that can cause you to pass out or have a sudden death. You should look into it.