Afterthoughts...


Ava seems to have fallen deeply in love with Elmo.

Elmo. What an absolutely perfectly designed character. You'll be hard-pressed to find a child who doesn't adore Elmo. Have you ever noticed how all little kids can say "Elmo"? Even when they have trouble saying basic words, "Elmo" rolls off the tongue of a 1 year old. I'm guessing that's not an accident. Elmo is the creation of a genius.


I was feeling a bit on the gloomy side today. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's due to decompression from all the Christmas stuff, but honestly I wasn't stressed out this Christmas. Everything went very smoothly.

I wasn't feeling depressed. Just gloomy. There's a difference you know. I think it could be due to all the crap I ingested these past few days. Too much food. Way too many cookies and sweets. Too much soda and wine. I started drinking only water and coffee this morning...a little detox if you will. For a little while, you always feel like crap when you stop taking in crap...strange huh.

We had a great Christmas. Lots of family, food, and fun was at hand. I felt like some funny God-Stuff was at play over the last couple weeks. It seemed like as soon as I "got over" not having certain things that I've wanted, they showed up. I'm a big, "I want this and this and this and this..." kind of person. I think it's just my personality. I'm always bored and while I feel completely fulfilled/blessed/spoiled/content-not-complacent/satisfied I still find myself looking for little things to make me jump up and down like a 2nd grader.

* Pined for a KitchenAid Mixer for years and years. Got over the fact that I couldn't shell out the cash for this "toy". Received KitchenAid mixer from my men's group as a thank-you Christmas present. Fainted.

* Stared at little R/C cars on the shelves at the hobby store all day. Caught the bug and I had to have one of them. Got denied by the wifey. Hobby store owner shows up with the exact R/C car I wanted and gives it to me for Christmas. Fainted.

Something about receiving stuff always makes you realize how unfulfilling that stuff actually is though doesn't it? It makes me think so much more about the people and the thought that they gave me something. That I mattered to them. Acts of service and gifts are my love languages. It's perplexing.

Thank you so much for this thing I've always wanted. I now realize fully that I didn't need it and it doesn't complete me. I love you. You made me feel so special. I'm confused. You know what they say, it's the thought that counts. It really is.

Or is it? I've always thought that if someone gets you something that's ridiculously "not you", were they really thinking about you? I've got some stuff that was horribly lame. People will rebuke me saying, "It's the thought that counts!"

I wonder though...were they thinking of me or were they thinking of them? Or just thinking about what was on sale. Hmm...

...whoa...I just realized I was typing out one of my random incomplete thoughts. Sorry.



3 waggish utterances thus far...:

puddlegirl said...

That pic of Ava holding Elmo's hand is so cute

Karen said...

My 2-yr old twin nieces call him Memo. And Ava is ADORABLE!

Unknown said...

Love you also brother. The look on your face when you unwrapped that mixer was priceless, I'm glad we could bring you such joy.