...the project begins.

It's been awhile in the making now but, today was my first day back to work in retail hell.

I believe it's been around three and a half years or so since I've been in the selling role. It felt quite strange today. I felt a bit lost...a bit uneasy. I think I'll get used to it and I'm pretty sure it will help me in my relationships with people.

My style was really starting to get cramped hanging around Christians all the time. Some of them are great. Some of them are spectacular people who truly walk what they talk and live life in amazing ways...but, that's only some of them.

I need to experience some realness. I'm around so many phony people all the time that it's amazing when I meet someone who is authentic. It shouldn't be an amazing thing to meet someone who is authentic. Not that outsiders from the church scene aren't phony too...don't get me wrong. We've all been someone we're not at some point.

A woman knocked into a ladder and it fell over and broke something today. She screamed "Jesus Fucking Christ!". I thought to myself, the overbearing Christian in me wants to be offended. I'm not offended though. I don't know if I should be...all I know is that I kept thinking, 'So that's His middle name?'.

Lord have mercy on us...we know not what we do.

2 waggish utterances thus far...:

Ryan Allen Doan said...

man I think that is so great and such an awesome testimony to other Christians hopefully. I can't imagine going back into a sales atmosphere. You are a better man than I. I know you already know that.

Anonymous said...

WhahahahahaHAHAHA!! Really, you're a PASTOR? Definitely never met one like you...
Fantastic anecdote!