Chicken a la delicioso...


I have no idea what this recipe is actually called. I made it up...and yet I'm sure that I didn't make it up. Certainly someone made this up before me and has a really cool name for what it is. If so, please let me know. Thanks.

We're cooking for two tonight...well, two and a quarter actually. The baby won't eat much though.

Let's start with some frozen chicken boobs. You're going to want to thaw said chicken boobs before moving on to the next step. I left mine out on the counter top for about an hour and then I popped them in the microwave (on defrost) for about a minute or so.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Here's what they looked like after I trimmed off some "cooked" edges from the defrost being too strong:

And we would now like to welcome to the stage tonight's cast and crew:

We're going to begin this evening's dinner with the browning of chicken boobs. To make these chicken boobs golden-brown and delicious we must first start with a very young chicken...er...egg.

Our next guest will also aid in the browning of said chicken boobs. Some bread crumbs if you will...go ahead make a good sized pile. A half-cup or so...

So as not to achieve blandness we must season these breadcrumbs with some tasty little party favors. Someone I always like to invite is Mr. Lawry's Chicken Seasoning...always a welcome guest with my poultry. I'd give it about 8-10 good shakes. That translates to approx. 2-3 tablespoons.


After taking out some pent up aggression on our poor defenseless egg, drop the chicken breast into the bowl for a nice coating.

Now dip the chicken into the breadcrumb mix...

I tend to return the breaded chicken back to the egg one more time and then give it a second run in the breadcrumbs. I've found that this gives you a good thick coating as well as a nice sturdy breading that won't crumble and flake off of the chicken when you cook it.

And this is what you should end up with at the end:


Now you're going to want to add about 2 - 3 tablespoons of butter to a good oven-safe pan (if you have one...if not just use a non-stick frying pan). Crank the heat up to medium-high and drizzle about 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil over the butter.

I like to use oil and butter for a good flavor/not burn ratio. The olive oil has a higher smoke point than the butter does. If I were to use just butter for this it would end up burning up on me.

After the butter and olive oil join together to make something beautiful you can go ahead and add your chicken.

After you get your chicken breasts into the pan I would let them become something glorious on each side for about 2-3 minutes.

Here's what you should see after a few minutes on each side. *tears up*

Now there's going to be a good bit of "stuff" stuck to the bottom of the pan since it's not non-stick...that's a good thing. We can get that flavorful "stuff" off the bottom of the pan by deglasing it with some chicken broth.



Dump about a cup or so of this chicken broth into the hot pan and viola!! The naughty chicken bits have lifted. This will pretty much immediately resemble a sauce of some sort.

Told ya:

Stop!! Don't do it!! I know you will want to eat it at this point but, it's not worth it...there's still so much more flavor to experience!! Besides that...the chicken is still raw inside.

It's now time to add the little cans of mushrooms (yes you can use fresh, blah, blah, blah) to the outside perimeter of the pan. Make sure you drain the liquid off the mushrooms first...and don't put the mushies on the chicken itself. That piece of real estate has already been saved for someone else.

Now for some seasoning! Toss a little more of that Lawry's stuff on the chicken and add a good amount of garlic powder onto the mushrooms...it gives em' that sauteed flavor.

Note: I'm using granulated garlic powder, not garlic salt. I don't want my body to go into a sodium overload tonight. The chicken broth was low sodium as well...I like to be able to control how much salt is in my food.

Last step before the oven: Add a cheese slice to the top of the chicken. I had some provalone in the fridge so that will do...shredded cheese works to. I've used cheddar, swiss, mozzarella, etc.. all with a little bit different results. The provalone is a great choice for this...


Now this is where boys become real women. Take your all metal (no rubber on the handle) pan and pop it into the pre-heated 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

25 minutes later and something magical has happened. This ugly little caterpillar has transformed into a beautiful butterfly.

Have a look:

I told you you should have trusted me. You owe me big on this one. Absolutely perfect.

Serve it up along-side your favorite veggie and get ready to experience something blissful.

Bon appetite!

6 waggish utterances thus far...:

Ryan Allen Doan said...

I love it man. Keep the recipes coming. They look great.

Helen Ann said...

Daaag....that looks like some good eatin! You really should publish a cookbook!

Helen

Unknown said...

Yes, this all looks lovely and delicious and everything, but I don't have time for all this manual labor. Why don't you come out for a little visit and you can whip it up while you're here? That sounds like a splendid idea. Holly is supposed to be the cook around here, but she's a slacker.

Elizabeth said...

wow that looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

I'm making this tomorrow night! OHIO ROCKS! Cook on, Pastor!

Anonymous said...

Hint~~
If you want a heavier breading on your meat instead of dipping said meat twice in egg try this:
Dredge meat in flour first. Then egg, then breadcrumbs. Then proceed.
For some unknown reason, the flour first really makes it a lot better.